AmigaActive (1314/2143)

From:Bart King
Date:18 May 2000 at 11:45:17
Subject:Re: samba

"Kyle Miller" <kylem@kylem.screaming.net> wrote:

> You mean you actually got it to work?

I managed to Samba working here over a serial PPP network, although it is
very temperamental (Samba, not the network).

> I've set and reset everything up so many times I've lost count. My problem
> is that nmbd doesn't seem to want to run. If there is any attempt by the PC
> to use samba, the Genesis log just fills up with 'nmbd exited with return
> code 01' messages.

Samba seems to have a very random startup ratio. Sometimes it'll work fine
without fault, others it won't connect until about 5 minutes later of
retries, or others it just doesn't want to know.

I never followed the tutorial in AA (largely because I missed issue four)
but it shouldn't make a difference. Also, I could never get Samba to work
with Genesis (I use Miami, but have both stacks).

However, I'd attribute your problem with nmbd to be something wrong in the
config file. Check what it says in Samba:log/log.nmb - it'll usually give
you hints in there.

> If I use port 901 to 'browse' the settings it says that nmbd is not running,
> so I click on start and it still says it's not running. I've also tried
> starting it from the shell with a large stack set but it still doesn't work.

You mean you've got SWAT working? Heh, I can't get that going :)

Bart King
Developer
http://www.bartmansoftware.co.uk
ICQ: 18178781 - IRC: bart (ArcNET)